Since we have been in isolation, I've been baking much more than normal. Life isn't much different around here since I'm a stay-at-home-mom...the chaos is normal. The dwindling supplies, and the fact that we can't go to the beach and the store and the park like we normally would to break up our days make it a bit more sad, but we are managing with walks outside, treasure hunts and lots of baking goodies!
I'm a decent cook, but baking is my thing. So I'll be sharing some of my favorite recipes so you can add some YUM to your days in isolation, too!
This one I shared back in 2018 and it's still my go-to fave. I've been making this recipe since 2010 and have perfected it over the years! I use Gluten Free flour when I bake, even though I'm not GF (my dad is so after making things for him, it became a hidden gem!) I think it makes the texture of baked goods so much better. You may modify any of my recipes to fit your life and your family's health.
My isolation tip...let the kids help you bake. The kitchen mess will be worth it when you hear them say proudly "I helped make that muffin!" at the end...even if they were really just there to steal the spatula to lick!
Let me know if you make any of my favorite recipes and they become your fave, too!
The Best Blueberry Muffins
1 1/2 cups GF baking flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup fresh blueberries
(Optional 1/2 cup white chocolate chips)
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup GF baking flour
1/4 cup cold butter or margarine, cubed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 400° and spray your muffin top pan (or regular muffin pan).
1. Mix the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder together in a medium size bowl.
2. Mix the oil, egg and milk together in a small bowl and add to the dry ingredients.
3. Mix all together until well combined.
4. Fold in the blueberries (and white chocolate chips if you choose.)
5. Put the batter in the muffin top pan, filling each spot to the top (or 3/4 full when using normal muffin pan.) (Because of GF flour, this batter will be sticky and will need to be scooped and almost pressed into the pan.)
6. Mix together the delicious topping: sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon with a fork and put a generous amount on each muffin top.
7. I always put more blueberries on top because YUM!
Bake in oven for 20 minutes. Take out and let cool on cooling rack.